Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kalamazoo, MI - May 20, 2007

The Town Kalamazoo has quite a history - Lincoln's speech in 1856, underground railroad, Indian mounds, the 1980 tornado in downtown, paper mills, a huge celery industry, and a great song! Go ahead. Read a little history.
http://www.kalamazoomi.com/hisf.htm http://www.kpl.gov/collections/LocalHistory/AllAbout/default.aspx#general
The Mall City The nation's first pedestrian mall was built in downtown Kalamazoo in 1959. A few years ago, the city opened the streets to vehicle traffic, but it's still fun to walk around, visit the shops, and enjoy the art.



Art Deco The American National Bank building, in the center of town, is Kalamazoo’s earliest example of Art Deco. Dating to 1929-30 and at fifteen stories, it was, for a long time the tallest building in the county.

I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo Glenn Miller 1942
Read all about the song and
I got a gal in Kalamazoo
Don’t want to boast but I know she’s the toast of Kalamazoo(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)
Years have gone by, my my how she grew
I liked her looks when I carried her books in Kalamazoo (Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)
I'm gonna send a wire, hoppin' on a flyer, leavin' today"
Am I dreamin’? I can hear her screamin’"Hiya, Mr. Jackson"Everything’s OK, A-L-A-M-A-Z-OOh, what a gal, a real pipperoo
I’ll make my bid for that freckle-faced kid I’m hurryin’ to
I’m goin’ to Michigan to see the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo(Zoo, zoo)(Zoo, zoo, zoo, Kalamazoo)K (K)A (A)L-A-M-A-Z-O(Oh, oh, oh, oh what a gal, a real pipperoo)(We’re goin’ to Michigan to see the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo)(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)(Kalamazoo!!)

No comments: